Description: This Mouse IL-6 Platinum ELISA contains the necessary reagents, from pre-coated plates to standards, buffers and diluents for performing quantitative enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA). This ELISA kit is specifically engineered for accurate and precise measurement of IL-6 protein levels from samples including serum, plasma, and supernatants from cell cultures.
Interleukin-6 (IL-6) is a multi-functional cytokine that regulates immune responses, acute phase reactions and hematopoiesis and may play a central role in host defense mechanisms. IL-6 is usually not produced constitutively by normal cells, but its expression is readily induced by a variety of cytokines,lipopolysaccharide (LPS) or viral infections. IL-6 is a pleiotropic cytokine produced by a variety of cells. It acts on a wide range of tissues, exerting growth-induction, growth-inhibition, and differentiation respectively, depending on the nature of the target cells.
IL-6 is involved in:
- the induction of B-cell differentiation
- the induction of acute phase proteins in liver cells
- growth promotion of myeloma/plasmacytoma/hybridoma cells
- induction of IL-2 and IL-2 receptor expression
- proliferation and differentiation of T cells
- inhibition of cell growth of certain myeloid leukemic cell lines and induction of their differentiation to macrophages
- enhancement of IL-3-induced multipotential colony cell formation in hematopoietic stem cells and induction of maturation of megakaryocytes as a thrombopoietic factor
- induction of mesangial cell growth
- induction of neural differentiation of PC 12 cells
- induction of keratinocyte growth
The abnormal production of IL-6 was first suggested to be related to polyclonal B-cell activation with autoantibody production in patients with cardiac myxoma. Since then, IL-6 has been suggested to be involved in the pathogenesis of a variety of diseases. Measurement of IL-6 levels in serum and other body fluids thus provides more detailed insights into various pathological situations.